“Color Hybrid” is Ship of the year
Skipsrevyen’s Ship of the year 2019 goes to “Color Hybrid”. The prize is awarded during NOR-Shipping by secretary in the Environmental Department Sveinung Rotevatn
– “Color Hybrid” paves the way for a new era in the ro-pax segment with technical solutions that go far in the green shift, says the jury’s leader and editor-in-chief of Skipsrevyen, Gustav-Erik Blaalid. “Color Hybrid can carry 2,000 passengers and 500 cars and is the world’s largest plug-in hybrid ship. Skipsrevyen congratulates!
– Norway has already shown the world how to create an electric car revolution, says State Secretary in the Ministry of the Environment, Sveinung Rotevatn. Now we will take the green shift further – to the sea. We have a proud tradition as a maritime nation, and with the focus on green shipping, we will secure our leading position in the low-emission society.
– “Color Hybrid” is equipped with a large battery pack that makes it possible to manoeuvre emission-free in and out of the fjord to Sandefjord harbour. This was one of the requirements Sandefjord municipality set when we invited stakeholders to apply for a license for this ferry route, says the mayor of Sandefjord, Bjørn Ole Gleditsch.
– First of all, we would like to thank for the appointment of Ship of the year, says CEO Trond Kleivdal in Color Line. Color Line bases its investments on the authorities’ and the international community’s work to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Among other things, the company was early to establish onshore power plants in the Norwegian ports of call that the company service. From May, shore power will also be available in Kiel.
– The construction of the world’s largest plug-in hybrid vessel is in line with the company’s ambitions for further development of sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions for Norwegian shipping, says Kleivdal. In addition to the positive effect on climate and environment, the knowledge transfer from the project is a great advantage for the maritime cluster. – Over 70% of the suppliers are from the maritime cluster in Norway, says CEO Trond Kleivdal.
On an annual basis, “Color Hybrid” will reduce NOx emissions in peri-urban areas to zero, and CO2 emissions will be reduced by 33% if compared with ro-pax of a similar size. The reduction in the use of fossil fuels will be over 20%.
With commitment and creative zest, Ulstein has always emphasized thinking new and challenging the existing, says Gunvor Ulstein, CEO of Ulstein Group. With its green and environmentally friendly solutions, “Color Hybrid” is a very important project both for us and for the maritime cluster. We would like to thank Color Line for a good and constructive collaboration throughout the construction period and we look forward to delivering the future-oriented ship Color Hybrid to the company, says Ulstein.
– Fosen has designed a ship for the future, says ship designer Per Edvin Tande and CEO Anders Straumsheim in Fosen Yard. The ship is designed to meet the environmental requirements of Sandefjord municipality and the desire for energy optimization from Color Line. On board are batteries produced by Siemens in Trondheim, gears, thrusters and propeller systems from Brunvoll in Volda. We have already received great international interest in the ship, they say.
– “Color Hybrid” is equipped with a 5MWh large battery pack that makes it possible to sail emission-free in and out of Sandefjordsfjorden. Sandefjord municipality clearly set environmental requirements that have contributed to innovation, the green shift and the world’s largest hybrid ferry between Sandefjord and Strømstad. These were the requirements Sandefjord municipality set when we had competition about the sailing schedules, says a proud and satisfied mayor of Sandefjord; Bjørn Ole Gleditsch.
The main players who are honoured with the Ship of the Year award are players who in their respective areas represent some of the best maritime industry has to offer in Norway.
Fosen Yard AS with its expertise in the design of ro-pax, Ulstein Verft AS that for generations has built high quality vessels, and Color Line which has transported millions of passengers, cars and goods between our neighbouring countries. In addition, Sandefjord Municipality is honoured for setting clear environmental requirements that create innovation in the maritime sector and reduced climate emissions.